What is an OCI card ?
Most of us have heard about dual citizenship. It refers to a person who has rights and obligations of two countries at the same time. Different countries have different laws regarding Dual Citizenship. Some countries grant the permission for it while others have a modified concept with some restrictions. In India, the government had passed a bill (in 2000) on OCI, a concept based on dual internship.
OCI Card is granted to those who hold a passport of another country but are of Indian origin. This card gives them the right to live in India for as long as they want.
Now let us peep into some of the most commonly asked questions on OCI card.
How to apply for OCI card?
OCI card application can only be done on online government site. The Official website where you can fill the form is ociservices.gov.in. Government of India does not distribute any forms for OCI off-line. The online application has several categories in which you have to prove that you are eligible for OCI. You also have to pay a certain amount as fees.
What are the documents required for OCI card application?
Below given is the list of the documents that you would require for the application process.
- OCI application form (part A and B)
- Passport size photograph of the applicant
- Original passport of the foreign country that the applicant belongs to
- Original birth certificate of the applicant
- Naturalization certificate
- A document that states that you are of Indian origin
- Address proof
- Proof regarding a change in name (if any)
- Documents showing your legal status
- Copy of parents’ marriage certificate may be also required
The above-mentioned documents are the core for the application. However, there can be a change if you are a minor, not a citizen of the US, are applying as a family. You also need to make sure that the documents are readable and attested.
What is the fess structure of OCI?
Before we jump into the structure, let us focus on some of the key pointers that you should know before submitting fees.
- CKGS that is Cox and Kings global service USA LLC is the right and the only station for payment.
- Once the applicant has submitted the original passport, the fees cannot be refunded.
- You can also make a single payment even if the OCI application is for the whole family.
- The OCI authority does not accept personal checks
- Your application might get rejected if your payment is not completed or is delayed.
- If due to any circumstances your OCI application is withdrawn, no refund of fees will be made.
Below given is the fee structure
|New OCI card for adult or minor||$275||$3||$17||$295|
|Re- issue of a new passport (OCI)||$25||$3||$17||$45|
|Re-Issue of the card in case of lost||$100||$3||$17||$120|
|Match up of the passport with OCI consultant||$0||$0||$17||$17|
|Renunciation of OCI||$25||$3||$17||$45|
|New OCI card for a POI holder||$275||$3||$17||$295|
Is there a timeline for the application of OCI?
OCI does not have any strict timeline. After you have a submitted the documents, the authorities roughly take two months to verify them. They would further take 3 to 4 months for approving and making a final decision. In another three months your passport would be reviewed by consulate. After this you would finally receive your passport with the attested application of OCI.
What is the eligibility criterion for OCI?
- A person who is of Indian origin but has citizenship of another country.
- Passport of a different country is required to apply for OCI
- A person who belongs to the Indian territory after 15th of August 1947.
- A person who is part of the generation of OCI holder.
Through this article we have tried to clear some of the most common doubts. In case you have further questions, feel free to comment below.