Must Visit Archeological Sites In India

0
24
must visit archeological sites in India
must visit archeological sites in India

Must-Visit Archeological sites in India

India is rich in culture and tradition, and the same reflects on the archaeological sites that the country has. In almost every part of the country, there is an extensive collection of archaeological sites that one can explore.Here is a comprehensive list of some of the must visit archeological sites in India.

 

  • Kumbhalgarh, Rajasthan –

Protected under UNESCO as a world heritage site, the entire fort is built in a Rajput-Persian style. Located 1,100 meters above sea level with high rise walls, the fort itself was impenetrable and remained the same for many years.

Within the high-rise walls, there are several houses, temples and much more. From the top, you can have picturesque scenic views.

 

  • Jaisalmer Fort, Rajasthan –

Rajasthan comprises of some of the most notable and commendable forts in India. The Jaisalmer fort is one such site that was built back in the 12th century. However, it was captured by Ala-ud-din Khilji and then by Mughal Emperor Humayun.

The fort is built on Trikuta hill and thus can be viewed from several miles away. The fort comprises of 3 inner walls which make invading the fort quite tricky, and the city of Jaisalmer now spreads beyond the walls of the fort.

 

  • Meenakshi Temple, Tamil Nadu –

The city of Madurai is notable for its Meenakshi Temple, and it happens to be the oldest city in the country of India and continuously been inhabited for well over 2000 years.

The temple is dedicated to Goddess Parvati and comprises of 14 Gopurams which it is famous for.

Each of these gopurams have an excellent detailing of structures of deities and animals that are painted and look visually appealing.

Though the existence of the temple is still in debate, it is said that it was established 2500 years ago by Lord Indra. 

 

  • Khajuraho Temples, Madhya Pradesh –

Located in the Chhatarpur district of Madya Pradesh, these monuments were erected during the rule of the Chandela dynasty.

Most of the temples at Khajuraho are of Hindu and Jain descent.

According to Hindu mythology, there were at least 85 temples in a 20-kilometre span but as of date only 20 are remaining which are safeguarded by the UNESCO world heritage site.

The reason behind the popularity of the temple is that it is a display of erotic figures carved onto 10% of the entire sculpture, while the rest 90% depicts sculptures of different objects.

 

  • Konark Sun Temple, Odisha –

Built during the 13th century by the Eastern Ganga dynasty, it is also known as Black Pagoda.

Coming in the list of the seven wonders of the world by the UNESCO world heritage site, it’s a temple that is dedicated to the sun and is constructed beside the Chandrabhaga river, But the river now no longer exists.

The overall structure of the temple is designed in such a manner that it depicts the chariot of the sun god, and there are 12 stone wheels, hand carved with various symbols and engravings.

 

  • Nalanda University, Bihar –

One of the oldest universities to ever exist and flourish, Nalanda university was the centre for higher learning in ancient India.

Located in Bihar, it is said to be made during the rule of the Magadha dynasty.

The university flourished between the 5th and 15th century and it was noted that there were well over 10,000 students.

With three buildings, nine stories and highly dedicated libraries this university was famous among the students from Korea, China, Persia, Turkey, Indonesia and japan during those days.

 

  • Hampi Village, Karnataka –

Located in the state of Karnataka, it’s quite famous for its most extensive collection of archaeological sites in the country and comes under one of the wonders of UNESCO world heritage sites.

Hampi used to be the capital city of the Vijayanagar dynasty, which used to be rich and prosperous.

Between the 14th and 16th century, Hampi was the centre of all Hindu temples.

Here you can find an array of temples and an archaeological museum as well.

 

  • Taj Mahal, Agra –

Considered to be one of the most beautiful archaeological sites in the world, the Taj Mahal was built by Shah Jahan for his wife Mumtaz Mahal.

The monument is spread across 42 acres,covered in white marble on which are engravings in different scriptures.

It’s a marvel that took roughly 17 years to be constructed fully and indeed is one of the most beautiful creations of the Mughals in India.

 

References.

https://archaeology-travel.com/archaeological-sites/seven-archaeological-wonders-of-ancient-india/

http://www.howarchitectworks.com/5-amazing-archaeological-sites-in-india/

 

 

 

 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here