THE STATUE OF UNITY
The 182-meter-tall statue of the Iron Man of India, Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, was inaugurated on his 143rd birthday by the Prime minister of India, Narendra Modi and was named as the Statue of Unity.
LOCATION AND DISTANCE –
The Statue of unity is located on the banks of Sardar Sarovar Dam in Kevadia district of Gujarat. The entire journey, either from Vadodara or Ahmedabad is around 90-200 kilometres. The journey might take 1- 2 hours depending on the place you are travelling from and also your stopovers in between.On your way you will come across some observation decks and picture taking spots which will give you a wonderful sight of the statue and the surrounding areas. The roads taking you to your destination are very well maintained, making your journey even more comfortable.
WITNESSING THE WORLD’S TALLEST STATUE –
This is one of the few man made structures that can be seen from outer space. The statue certainly has earned its name for the impressive statistics and figures that have gone into its construction.It is indeed an engineering marvel and is made of tons and tons of steel, brass and bronze.The monument and the area inside this place is divided into different zones which consist of memorial gardens and museum. There are lifts which take you to the top of the statue at almost 153 metres of height and let you enjoy from the viewing gallery. If you have time and can wait till 7:30 PM, you can witness a beautiful laser show as well.
BOOKINGS AND TICKETS –
- The tickets can be booked online or in person.
- The cost is around 350 INR/ person ( including the laser show, visit to Sardar Sarovar Dam and Valley of Flowers )
- Express Entry is 1000 INR to avoid waiting for the viewing gallery.
- It is closed on Mondays to kindly plan your trip accordingly.
INTERESTING FACTS -.
- The statue can withstand earthquakes of about 6.5 on the Richter scale and also winds of about 200kmph.
- The entire statue was built in 33 months where almost 24,000 tons of steel, 1,700 tons of bronze and 70,000 tons of cement was utilised with the help of 250 engineers and 3700 workers.
- Recently it was added to the list of ‘ 8 Wonders of SCO’ ( Shanghai Cooperation Organisation ).
- The colour of the statue might change to Green in the next 100 years due to oxidation.
Also, when you are planning to travel to India you can check Must Visit Archeological Sites In India