Recently we all came across the news of a man who died while travelling on a bus in China and on checking him thoroughly it was known that he was tested positive for Hantavirus. As soon as this news broke,people all over the world got paranoid thinking of how to deal with this virus when the world is actually bleeding with existing Coronavirus. So we have listed some of the things you need to know about Hantavirus.
What Is Hantavirus ?
- Hantavirus belongs to the family of viruses which mainly causes infection in rodents.
- Humans can be infected if they come in contact with an infected rodent’s urine, feces or saliva.
- It can be fatal for humans, causing HFRS – Hemorrhagic fever with renal syndrome or HPS – Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome.
Signs And Symptoms
- High grade fever
- Muscle pains
- Shortness of breath
- Generalised weakness
So far no vaccine or medicine has been introduced in the market to cure Hantavirus, however a combination of medicines is used to treat the symptoms.
- We all know prevention is better than cure, so make sure your surroundings are clean and well maintained.
- All the cracks and openings in the walls or drains are sealed properly.
- Maintain good personal hygiene.
- When removing the rodent nest make sure that you wear gloves and use the disinfectant.
Did You Know ?
- The first outbreak of Hantavirus was in 1950-1953 during the Korean War.
- It isn’t caused by human to human transmission.
- Cases of Hantavirus have been reported from almost all the continents from time to time.
- There are more than 20 types of Hantaviruses.
- The incubation period is around 1-5 weeks
- Mortality rate of HPS – Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome is 38%
- Mortality rate of HFRS – Hemorrhagic fever with renal syndrome is around 15%
When the world is already finding it hard to deal with Coronavirus, let’s make sure we don’t get involved with any other viral infections. Practice all the safety measures to keep yourself and your dear ones safe.